Things to consider before hiring a home inspector:
1) Make sure they have the required state license.
2) Make sure they are insured.
3) Check to see if they are a member of a professional Home Inspection organization.
4) Ask what their home inspection includes.
5) Check their website for a sample home inspection report.
Make sure they are a member of a home inspection organization such as Nachi, Fabi, Nahi,etc. so you know they are complying with continuing education.
Also call and talk to them and make sure they explain their inspection procedure to you and that you feel comfortable with how thorough they will be, since this will be the most expensive investment you will likely make
Best of luck in your home buying journey!